Saturday, January 26, 2008

Thing #23

Ok, copyright issues have always been difficult for me. I will admit that when a teacher asks me a copyright question, I am not always sure if my answer is correct. The copyright comic book did help me understand a few things better. i.e fair use,public domain. I enjoyed the Disney character video on copyright. Would it be appropriate to show our teachers? To me, creative commons is a way for artists to share their work with the public without all of the restrictions of copyright. You are free to use these works as long as you abide by a few rules which are stated up front. You could use this in the library with music, pictures, and written pieces of work. Creative Commons makes me think of the game Guitar Hero where you play music on the guitar along with the original soundtrack. Would that be an example of cc?
My mother is making "grandmother books" for all her grandchildren. This is just a book of memories and pictures of her childhood to share with the grandkids. She didn't want to write 7 separate books, so she called the company and they gave her permission to copy the book seven times. This is a good example of asking the owner for permission to use their work.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I love the "grandmother book" idea. Whee did she get the original book?